7 May 2014

It is 11pm and I am currently sitting on the floor in the hallway of a residence building waiting for the sounds of chatter to cease in the rooms around me so I can end this vigil and go to bed. I have a feeling that morning is going to come rather quickly and despite the new bed yet again - I will be sleeping semi-soundly tonight. Well - soundly while still keeping one ear open for kids in the halls.
Today went well. Laughed that everytime we climbed back on the bus all the teacher chaperones immidiately conked out for 30 minutes or so... Almost like we anticipated the little amount of sleep in store for us. The kids told me today that most teachers have a no sense of humour - but I do.... While I think they were intending that as a compliment all I can think is that I must be doing something wrong.
This has been a busy couple of weeks... The play ramped up to 3-4 hour rehearsals every day after school and on Easter Monday finally culminating in 4 exhausting performances. It is so stressful to be that on edge for weeks straight. We went from it being "the 6.5 hour" show the week before we were on to the "2.5 hour" show (a place I was comfortable) to the "1.5 hour" show on dress rehearsal day - im still not really sure how they pulled that one off. The performances tended to sit closer to the 2.10 mark which I was happy with. The shows went well - the crowds and the cappies seemed to like us - we find out May 13 if we've been nominated for anything - fingers crossed.
The week after the play closed we had choir festival. I LOVED it this year - mostly because Jen was one of the conductors and it was nice to catch up with her - and she was such an influence on who I am as a conductor that it was fun for me to hear from my kids how similar we run things. We slept over at the school this year which meant I got very little sleep, but it was great for the kids and itwas nice that we had the chance to do one last midnight rehearsal together. On the way back a van broke down so we had the added fun of spending an hour or so on the side of the 401. My kids amused themselves by singing through all the worship songs on my ipad - it didnt seem to phase them.
This week it's school trips. Im in Quebec with the grade 10s.
It is 11:45pm and all seems quiet. I am off to bed.

No comments: